Tuesday 14 April 2009

Thai food is my generation's Indian

When I was little, roast dinners were a welcome feature of Sundays.

On Mondays the leftover meat would be made into something like rissoles (lamb), stir fry (beef), or - very occasionally - chicken curry. Now, this wasn't the type of curry we'd recognise these days - in fact, my friends laughed at me when I declined to go for a curry with them when my only experience was my mother's white-sauce-with-curry-powder added.

Tonight, we had the modern day equivalent; Thai curry made with red curry paste and coconut milk, the leftover chicken stripped from the carcass and stirred through at the last.

Whether my children will consider it identifiably, authentically Thai will have to wait, at least until they have been born.

No comments: