Tuesday 27 May 2008

No condensed milk in flapjack

Flapjack should not contain condensed milk. No way, no day.

I mention this because over the weekend, fancying a bit of an oaty syrupy snack, I purchased a flapjack, which committed the cardinal sin mentioned above.

It was, frankly, bland; milky, sweet and unpleasant. Certainly not the oaty syrupy delight it could - and should - be.

To this end, I present a simple recipe for flapjack containing just four (or five) simple ingredients. Sorry 'bout the Imperial measurements; I did try it with Metric, but my notes have several measurements on them, and don't indicate clearly which is which. Try it out and see what works for you.

Flapjack (oaty syrupy delight)

4 oz margarine or butter
5 oz oats
1 tablespoon golden syrup
4 oz sugar
2oz flour (see note)

Note: I'm not entirely happy about flour in my flapjack, but it can be terribly sticky without. You could try compensating with more oats or sugar, and go with whatever you prefer.

Melt the butter, syrup and sugar over low heat, stir in the oats and pour into a greased baking tray. Pop in the oven for around 25 minutes at 180 degrees on the Celsius scale, and enjoy.

And not a whisper of condensed milk.

No comments: